The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Division President opportunity, you will have:
- Significant executive-level experience in a service industry, ideally in property management, hospitality/lodging or similar.
- Exceptional leadership skills, including:
- The ability to interact with and motivate people with different agendas and backgrounds.
- Experience managing and mentoring 6 to 12 professionals who, in turn, oversee 100+ staff members.
- A demonstrated ability to manage large-scale change, preferably including M&As.
- A track record of success in sales and/or business development, including pipeline management, sales processes, lead generation and marketing disciplines.
- Proven client relations and client retention skills.
- Strong financial acumen and a high degree of comfort managing P&Ls and interpreting detailed financial analyses.
- The ability to develop and maintain a solid understanding of association laws impacting company operations and client service lines for the State of Massachusetts.
- A bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience; a master's degree is a plus.
- A creative approach and the professional courage to take calculated risks.
- A robust commitment to customer service.
- A proven ability to prioritize and effectively communicate objectives.
- Good communication abilities, including solid listening skills.
- The ability to promote and maintain a positive atmosphere.
Role OverviewNote: this is a high-level overview of the role. To take a deeper dive into the details, see the Role Specifics tab.
Reporting to the Regional President, East, you will lead a team of six to eight leaders in different operational areas, and also work with corporate resources. Currently in the Boston area we support about 80 properties with an average size of 200 residences.
You will lead all business efforts in the market, with direct responsibility for:
- Managing to an annual budget with the intent of growing EBITDA year-over-year.
- Managing Association/Property Manager team leaders, including interacting with Boards of Directors and the property owners they serve.
- Coordinating cross-functionally with Marketing/Business Development, IT, HR, Legal and Corporate Accounting to ensure the business is appropriately managed/supported/sized in these matrix organizations.
- Working with the Client Accounting Controller to ensure all property level financial reporting is accurate and timely.
On the tactical side, you will take a hands-on approach. You will have extensive client interaction, ensuring our clients are satisfied. Reporting directly to the Regional President of the east, you will work closely on sales and marketing, budgets and business plans.
Role SpecificsNote: this is a detailed description of the role. To get the 30,000-foot view, see the Role Overview tab.
As Division President, your specific activities will fall into four main areas. In the area of operations, you will:
- Provide overall executive leadership and strategic direction of the Boston market. This will include frequent interaction with association/property managers, business leaders, existing clients, prospective new clients, FirstService affiliates and FirstService Residential senior managers.
- Assume responsibility for adherence to the annual business plan, driving financial performance to achieve targeted performance margins as identified in business plan.
- Provide year-end input to corporate budget and in particular, to those line items within the market area of responsibility.
- Maintain client retention goals as outlined in business plan.
- Work collectively with regional leadership on strategies to coordinate best practices, implement new company procedures, policy changes, and improve business practices throughout the market.
- Drive and support the launch of new clients into the company's operations both prior to effective date of new contract and up through an established onboarding process.
- Review and approve payroll as required through national ADP/Vantage platform.
- Review and approve direct report expense reimbursables.
- Review and approve operational expenses as required through regional/national policies.
- Hold yourself and your team accountable for delivering on business goals, company initiatives and other strategic planning initiatives as assigned.
- Anticipate needs across the market and manage company-wide resources to provide timely and reliable service to internal and external customers.
- Demonstrate and model company values with internal and external customers.
- Demonstrate awareness of variables which could affect employee retention and/or morale, and develop strategies to ensure employee engagement and retention.
- Identify, manage, and mitigate risks.
- Participate in community and industry organizations (CAI, ULI, local affiliations, etc.) as necessary, as this is important to FirstService Residential's business philosophy.
- Commit to attending all designated company meetings and events as well as leadership meetings, area of responsibility team meetings, and others that may be promulgated from time to time.
- Act as high-level driver for LEVEL (Net Promoter Score) Survey.
- Lead new business development efforts across multiple company interests, driving and partnering with business development, sales and marketing department leaders to meet projected growth targets in accordance with division business plan.
- Oversee the utilization of proprietary CRM database in accordance with national standards.
- Ensure that our Company's ancillary services are being offered by the management team and Community Managers to their communities.
- Build an organizational culture and lead in a manner in which passion for excellence and continuous improvement is innate.
- Maintain a deep and ongoing understanding of staff performance throughout the market.
- Drive or support other management team members in the recruiting, hiring, and separation of personnel.
- Drive alignment of resource planning to prepare and identify resources/ personnel required for growth within margin guidelines for new business and succession.
- Recognize strengths and weaknesses of key staff members and adjust job descriptions, positions, and training accordingly in order to maximize the return on human potential to benefit both associate retention as well as company performance.
- Ensure employee work processes, roles/responsibilities, habits and payroll processes are executed according to policies and applicable wage and hour laws; review and approve payroll with strict adherence to deadlines for area of responsibility.
What's in it for YouMove the needle
This division is performing well and you will invest time and effort in ensuring it continues to do so. At the same time, this stability will give you more time free to execute creative strategies to drive growth and positive improvements. A strong showing from you will result in both professional growth and financial rewards.
This is a large division and one that is ripe for a strong leader to make an impact. Your successes will get the attention of leadership and your strategic impact will be noticed throughout the organization.
As you can see, this is a diverse role that will allow you to stretch your skills in multiple areas, from managing operations to integrating acquisitions. Once you have proven yourself here, you might set your sights on taking on a larger division or moving up within the organization.
Each day, every member of our team strives to fulfill our mission: to deliver exceptional service and solutions that enhance the value of every property and the lifestyle of every resident in our care . . . you can feel the heartbeat of our team's shared commitment to exceptional service. We are high on collaboration and low on competition. These are just a few of the reasons we have a high percentage of long-tenured team members.
FirstService Residential is a financially stable, high-growth organization -- even during times of recession we have grown and prospered. We are a large company with a large footprint, and that enables our associates to relocate to different markets without losing benefits or vacation time.
In addition to a competitive salary and performance-based bonus, we offer a unique incentive program that encourages retention with a deferred but lucrative payoff. Our comprehensive benefits include paid vacations and holidays; medical, dental and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan; flexible spending accounts; and more.
Keys to SuccessIf you are coming from a high-level corporate role in which you delegated quite a bit and communicated with operations people through middle managers, you'll need to make some adjustments. You'll delegate and there will be middle management, but the role has a lot of hands-on responsibilities.
Leadership skills will be essential to your success, but one "flavor" of leadership won't be enough. You'll need to be as influential with a team of professionals as you are with the many mom'n'pop vendors you'll interact with. In general, our clients are homeowners -- boards of directors are made up of volunteers from the community. They come to us precisely because they don't have strong property management savvy. Each board will be different, and you'll need to understand the dynamics on each, such as which members are the most influential. You'll need to adjust your style as you interact with different stakeholders, but all should feel the gravitas of your leadership and industry knowledge.
The Regional President is not a micromanager but does play an active role in each division. You'll find that he is passionate and has great ideas. Just the same, you should have the confidence to push back when you disagree. The ideal scenario is that the two of you develop a collaborative partnership that supports division growth.
About UsWelcome to FirstService Residential, the leading residential property management company in North America.
We provide proven expertise and service to communities and properties of all types throughout North America. Our portfolio of managed properties includes low-, mid- and high-rise condominiums and cooperatives, as well as single-family home Homeowner Associations (HOAs) and large scale master-planned, lifestyle and active adult communities. In addition, we manage commercial associations and mixed-use developments, as well as multi-family and investor-owned rental and REO properties for institutional and private equity clients.
Our unique value-added services, depth of experience and commitment to service excellence delivered with a personal touch make FirstService Residential the partner of choice for communities.
Making a Difference. Every Day.
We owe our success to our associates, the best in the industry. Over 15,000 strong, these talented property management professionals bring a diverse range of backgrounds, knowledge and experience, but their combined synergy creates a powerful, unified team committed to making a difference for our Board members, homeowners and residents. Our corporate culture promotes service excellence as part of our mission to deliver exceptional property management solutions.
Through a hands-on approach that includes listening and collaborating with Boards, we customize our full-service association management solutions and value-added services to meet clients' needs and help them achieve their goals and realize their community vision.